Who said the French have no sense of humor? We use funny words in our language everyday. See for yourself.
1. We don’t just say that someone is arrogant, we say they ‘fart higher than one’s ass’ (péter plus haut que son cul).
4. We don’t like to say that ‘we’ve been stood up’, so instead we say that someone ‘put a rabbit on us’ (poser un lapin).
8. And if a couple gets at it one more time, we say they ‘set the table again’ (remettre le couvert).
9. We don’t like to offend people by overtly saying they ‘smell bad’, so instead we say they ‘don’t smell like a rose’ (ne sent pas la rose).
10. We don’t just say we finish something quickly. Rather, we like to boast that we do it ‘in two strokes, three movements’ (en deux temps, trois mouvements).
11. We won’t just tell you that you’re ‘overcomplicating’ something basic, we’ll say that you’re ‘looking for noon at 2 o’clock’ (chercher midi à quatorze heure).
12. We don’t just say that a girl is a prude, we call her a ‘saint don’t-touch-it’ (sainte nitouche).
13. A man is not ‘stupid’, he is ‘slow to the trigger’ (lent à la détente).14. We don’t just call a social climber an opportunist. We like to say he ‘eats at all the racks’ (manger à tous les râteliers).
15. A person doesn’t just ‘retire’ or even ‘die’, they ‘shoot their bow’ (tirer sa révérence).
16. You’re not just ‘hip’, you have ‘the wind in the stern’ (avoir le vent en poupe).
17. We know success is double faced, but we prefer to call that ‘the other side of the medal’ (le revers le médaille).